Monday, July 4, 2011

Thank you for this 4th of July

So often the 4th of July is looked at as an extra weekend day. We are all too happy to eat good food, play with friends, and watch fire crackers explode. While I was watching the fire works a war veteran sitting beside me had the strangest look on his face. I didn't say anything. I just watched his face change with every explosion. Finally he said, "They just see it as entertainment. They have no clue what those explosions can mean."

It is usually referred to as The 4th of July and not independence day. I think this makes it easier to overlook the people who make it possible for us to continue celebrating in this manner. I cannot thank every veteran and those currently serving by name. I am so thankful though. You can always find a smart ass bumper sticker that reads, my husband risks his life so you can act an ass. My brother fights to defend your freedom  to say that the war sucks. A lot of smirks and comments are passed when something similar to that is said. It doesn't matter what you think. It doesn't matter that you don't always see it. They really are keeping the wolf from your front door. Maybe it isn't noticeable. I would bet my baby that everyone would notice if all of our men and women in uniform took a month off. It's because they are there, that we don't notice them.

I thanked every service member today. I couldn't call all of my friends and family in uniform but I thanked each of them, with all of my heart. It takes a lot of courage to put on one of those uniforms and carry out the duty that it calls for.

There was somebody on my mind all day today. If you truly want to know the meaning of today, and what people are willing to do to ensure that you can continue celebrating it next year, take a few minutes and google the name Ross Andrew McGinnis. His is a story of a hero who took his duty seriously and gave, not paid, the ultimate price for his country. Ross placed his body on top of a grenade to save the life of his friends, brothers, fellow soldiers. That is the type of thing being done in the name of this country and it's freedom. That is the type of thing that is being done in your name. That is serious business. Please, take a few minutes, google his name, appreciate him. Celebrate his life and celebrate his gift.

Damn, i'm crying again.

Hope that everyone had a happy, safe, thankful 4th of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment